*Left Coast Knits

When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap. -Cynthia Heimel

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Beep beep beep New Project Alert

New project alert: it’s curtains for you, baby! One of my bathrooms has a small window with very bad curtains (very bad everything, actually, except for the flooring, which is not fab, but not too alarming either). So I am knitting new ones. Not really curtains- curtain. Or a window panel, to be exact. I had this giant cone of lace weight raw silk that I thought would do the trick, so I dyed a bunch of it really dark chocolaty brown. I did consider leaving it the natural raw silk color (which is really very nice) but I wanted it to show up when the light is shining through the window. Plus dying stuff is fun.

I am going to knit it on larger needles than it would normally require so that it is "open" and see through, and then put a sheer curtain behind it so it will look all cool and hip and zen like.

Oooohhhmmmmmm............

Coolness will require that I remove the wallpaper and paint the bathroom too- it is hard to be cool when you have cheesy late 90’s wallpaper all stuck to you.

See what I got in the mail today? That's right- a big cone of yarn. And not just any yarn- it's a big cone of cashmere. MMmmmmmmmmmmm........ cashmere. (I am a cone yarn fan, can you tell? If you knit from a gaint cone, you have hardly any ends to weave in!) There is a story behind this cashmere- about three weeks ago, I took the train to San Francisco to go to my internship, but when I got there, I had no computer to work on. For about the fourth time. So, back to the stupid train. $4.50 and 1 hour later, I arrive back at home, only to realize that I have left my beloved black cashmere wrap on the wretched train. Now, this was no chi chi wrap- but I loved it. Looooooved it. Wore it everywhere. Scarf, blanket, swim trunks, pup tent, this wrap had it going on! I called the rotten train station, called the lost and found, went to the rotten train station, lit prayer candles (ok, not really on that one), and complained for an entire afternoon- but still no wrap. So anyway, I decided to make myself a new one, hence the yarn. And if I see any of you wearing the one that I left on the train, I am going to get you.

7 That's what you say!:

Blogger elmcitymom said...

I heard there is an awesome curtain pattern, not that you need one) in the new Mason Dixon Knitting Book.

6:13 PM  
Blogger rockstarmom said...

curtains, what. i never would have thought of that, what a superb idea! and that silk, oooh it came out so purdy - i want some chocolate colored raw silk curtain panels - i do i do!!! by the way, this is www.notaplainjane.com, thanks for stopping by my blog!

10:19 AM  
Blogger Ceallach said...

I think I know that raw silk yarn on a cone, since I think that we got it together, and I have similarly have a cone of it.

So it died up okay?

Hey, you know it's funny that you mention it, but I found this black wrap on the train....

No not really, but I feel for ya!

12:36 PM  
Blogger insaknitty said...

how sad about your wrap!! but you get to make a new one, so yay for that. :) lemme know if you ever go to alaska so I can stowaway in your suitcase...

1:32 PM  
Blogger LeftCoast Knits said...

No problem. I have a really big suitcase, too, so you could even bring some yarn with you (but, of course, I would recommend bringing just the bare minimum and lots of Space Bags, so you could load up once you got there)!

1:44 PM  
Blogger Aundra said...

Oh cashmere... oh that's so nice.

5:56 PM  
Blogger becky said...

Anything that is in a chocolate color gets my vote.

1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home